The costume directors of Harry Potter are fing brilliant.
My jaw dropped! Wowza.
You know what’s truly iconic tho fucking robes
I never understood why they never wore robes outside of classes. Harry and Hermione I can maybe understand as they grew up with muggle fashion but Ron is from a very old wizarding family and it’s made abundantly clear in the books and in the first movie at least that wizard fashion is as antiquated as the wizards themselves, and mostly incorporates robes. “Hey guys, let’s go run around this old magic castle in denim and hoodies. I’m sure we won’t look out of place at all.” Yeah, no.
Anonymous said: What did Dumbledore do that makes him a bad person? It's been a while since I've read the series and I'm curious.
Dumbledore is literally the scum between my toes
- LEAVES A 1YO CHILD ON A DOORSTEP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT LIKE ‘OH NVM THEYLL FIND HIM IN THE MORNING LOL’
- knows good and well how the dursleys are abusing and neglecting harry and just LETS THE SITUATION CONTINUE even though we see in the fifth book that he has the power to stop it (the ‘remember my last letter’). he lets harry be LOCKED UP IN A CUPBOARD and abused for ten years both because of the ””protection”’ privet dr has for harry (don’t worry, it’s only at the cost of his emotional and mental wellbeing, it’s all good) and because he WANTS harry to fall in love with the wizarding world, like voldemort did, like snape did, because it will make him easier to manipulate
- GROOMS HARRY TO BECOME A PERSON WHO WILL WILLINGLY DIE FOR ””’THE GREATER GOOD””
- PURPOSEFULLY WITHOLDS INFORMATION FROM HARRY AND KEEPS HIM UNINFORMED SO HE’LL DO WHAT DUMBLEDORE WANTS WHEN DUMBLEDORE WANTS HIM TO DO IT
- tells harry in ootp that he kept the truth from him because HE ACCIDENTALLY ENDED UP CARING ABOUT HARRY. LIKE OH HERE’S THE KID I’VE BEEN PLANNING TO KILL AND HAVE LET LIVE A MISERABLE LOVELESS LIFE IN ORDER TO RIGHT THE WRONG OF THE OTHER BOY I FEEL LIKE I LET DOWN AND I ACCIDENTALLY REALISED HE’S A HUMAN BEING WELL FUCK
- told arabella figg she couldn’t be nice to harry when he went to her house? like what the FUCK?
- after all his lectures and ”’wisdom”’ STILL GOES AFTER THE HALLOWS HIMSELF BECAUSE HE WANTS THE POWER
- literally told harry the only reason he didn’t make him a prefect was because he didn’t want people to think he ””plays favourites”” like he didn’t last minute give gryffindor the house cup like four fuckin years in a row because of harry
- KNEW HE WAS GOING TO DIE AND DIDN’T TELL/PREPARE HARRY FOR THE EMOTIONAL DEVASTATION OF LOSING ANOTHER/HIS LAST FATHER FIGURE AND EVEN MADE HARRY WATCH HIM DIE
- locked sirius up AFTER HE HAD SPENT TWELVE YEARS IN PRISON in the house where he was ABUSED AS A CHILD AND MADE TO FEEL OUTCAST AND UNLOVED and pretty much exacerbated sirius’ arrested development and feeling of worthlessness because he’s dumbledore and dumbledore knows best
- LET SNAPE TEACH AT HOGWARTS FOR 15+ YEARS DESPITE KNOWING FULL WELL HOW HE TREATED STUDENTS JUST BECAUSE HE WANTED TO KEEP HIM CLOSE
- HE IS IN A POSITION OF POWER - ARGUABLY THE POSITION OF POWER - AND USES IT TO MANIPULATE AND EMOTIONALLY TRAUMATISE HARRY AND BATTER HIM INTO A WEAPON TO USE AGAINST VOLDEMORT AT THE COST OF HARRY’S FUCKING CHILDHOOD
and this is NEVER ADDRESSED in the books. Dumbledore is never seen as anything but a wise and noble father figure to Harry. HARRY NAMES HIS SON AFTER THIS MAN WHO MANIPULATED HIM AND LITERALLY WALKED HIM INTO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE. FUCK dumbledore.
did she get a haircut
does it make anyone else uncomfortable that they changed her entire race because she went out with Ron in their sixth year
isn’t that what happened???
they changed a character’s entire race because she as a character became important and relevant for a short amount of time
Umm, no. They did not change her entire race simply because she dated Ron. Actually think about it. Up until the sixth book, she was a background character that was only ever mentioned in passing, so she wasn’t given a physical description. Then in the sixth book, Lavender was finally described, as having ‘pale skin and dirty blonde hair’. Well, the first few Harry Potter movies came out before the Half-Blood Prince book did, so the casting directors did what they wanted with the character.
Another thing, the Lavender Brown from the first few movies only appeared in the first few movies. Lavender didn’t even appear in the 4th and 5th movies, because again, she was a background character, and wasn’t vital to the story. The only reason her race was changed was because a physical description was finally in the books, and it didn’t fit what the directors had, so they had to recast her. It was not because she dated Ron.
Reblogging for the last comment
Why should it matter how she was described in the books? It didn’t matter for any of the other characters. Harry in the books had messy black hair and bright green eyes like his mother. In the movies he had brown, shiny straight hair and blue eyes, “like his mother” (whose youngest appearance on screen was cast to have brown eyes).
Book Hermione had frizzy hair and buck teeth. Book Ron was tall, long-nosed and freckled out the wazoo.
Sure, these are minor appearance details, but if they don’t matter, why would it matter what the book says Lavender looks like? If they’d already cast a black actress, there would be absolutely no harm in keeping her once she’s upgraded to something other than minor character. Lavender Brown did not need to be white in order to fit her role in the story.
I’m not saying the intention of recasting her was DEFINITELY because they didn’t want a PoC in a relationship with a main character, or because they were trying to white-wash her, since their reasoning is clear as day in the above post; but it’s unrealistic to think in today’s media that those couldn’t have been contributing factors. It’s still pretty awful that they’d already decided to cast her as black and then threw that out the moment JK said “nope, she’s white.” It’s an adaption, so discarding PoC representation for last-minute accuracy when other characters are already far from 100% accurate is, understandably, pretty infuriating.
(Source: winterfehl, via hootowlforlife)
So, for the first time in over a year I decided to draw something.
Pottermore is apparently a good influence on me.
This is unfinished of course, but until I can find my tablet there won’t be anything except base colors. I left the cat blank because it’s supposed to be a tabby and I’ll be damned if I’m doing the patterns on her fur with the select tool.
Potionwillow7728, if anyone’s interested.
Snape is not amused.
30 points from Ravenclaw.
“get out of my office”
He’s looking at their hair, wondering how they get it so vibrant and lustrous.
(Source: , via amateur-1314)
What if Hufflepuff is actually the stoner house at Hogwarts